Thursday, 27 October 2016

Everyday Value Experiments

It's a sad fact that food bank use is on the rise in the UK, and so many families live below the poverty line. When the foodbank is collecting at my local supermarket, I'll usually donate a few bags of their value range foodstuffs. That said, I feel a bit of an ass handing over 24p tins of beans while I go home with a brand name at twice the price. And I wonder how the recipients of the food feed themselves with an eclectic mix of cheap tinned and dried foods. Is the food as bland and tasteless as the packaging, are they just glad to have food in their stomachs? And the most important question: What if that was me?

I have the luxury of being able to experiment with ingredients, recipes and time, and I realise that others aren't so lucky. I'm hoping that someone out there can learn something from these posts that helps make their life easier. And maybe if I do find myself no longer having that luxury I won't be so lost. Or on a more light-hearted note, maybe it will help you put aside a few pounds a week towards that new jacket/book/DVD/etc you wanted.

The Rules
  • I will not assume any level of cooking skill. Sure, some of the early posts may come off condescending, but there's a lot of folk in my generation that have never learned to cook
  • I will not assume any more than basic cooking utensils, though I may suggest some useful items.
  • Recipes will not cater to dietary requirements, allergies or food preferences, though a few substitutions may make them suitable for your individual circumstances.
  • Much as I prefer to buy free range eggs, and pole and line caught tuna, it's a luxury that many don't have, so the treatment of the livestock/seafood isn't going to be a consideration.
  • I will include treats. You'd be surprised how cheaply you can make puddings and traybakes.
  • No waste. If I try a recipe that calls for 3 egg yolks, I will find another recipe to use the whites.
  • I will assume an empty larder, so each recipe will list EVERYTHING you need, including that tablespoon of oil or twist of pepper.
I'll give my opinion on each recipe or product(s) that I try, but do feel free to chip in with your own comments, or recipes you'd like me to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment